CNN and Chief White House Correspondent Jim Acosta received good news from a federal judge who ruled that Acosta would proprietorially receive his press credentials from the White House.
“I will grant the application for the temporary restraining order. I order the government reinstate the pass,” U.S. District Judge Timothy J. Kelly ruled from Washington, Fox News reported.
Kelly heard lengthy oral arguments earlier in the week concerning CNN’s request for a restraining order, due to the Trump administration’s move to suspend Acosta’s press pass, which provided expedited access to White House grounds.
The Associated Press reported that the judge stated he could not say who made the decision to revoke the press pass, or even how the decision was reached. Therefore he wanted it reinstated, albeit temporally.
“In response to the court, we will temporarily reinstate the reporter’s hard pass,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement. “We will also further develop rules and processes to ensure fair and orderly press conferences in the future.”
The pass was revoked following a press conference held by President Donald Trump in which Acosta “challenged” the president as to his terminology used for the migrant caravan.
Acosta asked several questions, which were answered, and refused to surrender his microphone, or stop asking questions when the president attempted to move on to another reporter.
CNN tweeted their appreciation for the decision early on Friday:
“Statement from CNN and @Acosta on today’s ruling: ‘We are gratified with this result and we look forward to a full resolution in the coming days. Our sincere thanks to all who have supported not just CNN, but a free, strong and independent American press.’”
Statement from CNN and @Acosta on today’s ruling: “We are gratified with this result and we look forward to a full resolution in the coming days. Our sincere thanks to all who have supported not just CNN, but a free, strong and independent American press.”
— CNN Communications (@CNNPR) November 16, 2018
The White House Correspondents’ Association also weighed in, saying that it “welcomes today’s ruling.
“We thank all of the news outlets and individual reporters who stood up in recent days for the vital role of a free and independent news media plays in our republic,” said WHCA president Olivier Knox.
— WHCA (@whca) November 16, 2018
The White House said it would be developing new rules for orderly press conferences.
Speaking to reporters after the decision, “If they don’t listen to the rules and regulations, we will end up back in court and we will win,” Trump said, according to the AP.
He later added: “We want total freedom of the press. It’s very important to me, more important to me than anybody would believe. But you have to act with respect when you’re in the White House, and when I see the way some of my people get treated at press conferences, it’s terrible. So we’re setting up a certain standard, which is what the court is requesting.”